You will never think about meatballs the same way again after trying this wonderful dish. It is a Mexican twist with great tasting Texas Brew Salsa combined with the mellow taste of cheddar cheese.
Recipe by Brenda Craig, Texas Brew Products
¾ cup Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa,Mild
1 lb. frozen or homemade meatballs
¾ cup water
¾ cup condensed aged cheddar cheese sauce or aged cheddar cheese spread (Velveeta)
1. Cook meatballs in half Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa and water. Should be ¾ covered. Simmer till done.
2. Transfer meatballs to a Crockpot.
3. Add cheddar nacho sauce or cheddar cheese spread to the remaining liquid.
4. Simmer on low until cheese is melted while stirring gently. Add to Crockpot.
5. Simmer approximately 30 minutes or until gravy is at desired thickness.
6. You may add more water or salsa when gravy needs to be thinned.
7. Serve hot with tortilla chips or rolled in a hot flour or corn tortilla with guacamole, sour cream, pica de gallo, and cilantro for an entirely unique flavor.
Note: Excellent recipe to make the day before. You can add more Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa if you desire a richer, browner gravy. Using Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa, Mild for this recipe makes for nice mellow flavor sure to please everyone. One 16 oz. jar of Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa will do approx. 4 lbs. of meat balls.
If doing large quantities, the larger and flatter the pan the better. Electric skillets and roasters work well. You can always transfer to a Crockpot if desired. If making large batches, just follow the ½ water to ½ salsa rule. Add cheese to taste. I love to make mine with more gravy and pour on chips.
Note: If using homemade meat balls it is preferable to brown them before adding Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa to prevent breakage. Once meatballs are browned, follow previous instructions.
Pica De Gallo
½ medium red onion, finely chopped
3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
½ tsp. garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp. cumin
1 cup cilantro, chopped
½ tsp. black pepper (optional)
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
Let stand one hour for best flavor before serving.
NOTE: While every precaution has been taken in the preparation of these recipes, Texas Brew Products and the author assume no responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting from the use of the information contained herein.
NOTE: Image is for publication purposes only. It may not represent the actual prepared recipe.