Succulent grilled/sauteed shrimp served on a crispy tostada topped with Not Your Momma’s Coleslaw or top round tortilla chips to create a delightful appetizer.
Recipe by Brenda Craig, Texas Brew Products, Sarah Penrod, Chef For Life
Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa, Mild, Medium or Hot
Tostadas (5” work best, you may use fresh corn tortillas fried in oil for a superb alternative)
2 lbs Texas Shrimp (26-30 count) marinated in Texas Brew Honey Roasted Salsa
1 batch of Not Your Momma’s Cole Slaw
1 batch of Texas Brew Cream Sauce (Recipe Below)
Avocado chopped or sliced in wedges
Cilantro or Pico De Gallo (recipe below) for garnish
1 t. butter or olive oil (more if needed)
Makes 6 to 10 tostadas
- Prepare one batch of Texas Brew Not Your Momma’s Cole Slaw the day before. Do not mix dressing into slaw until 10 to 15 minutes prior to assembling your Tostadas.
- Mix slaw and dressing. Refrigerate until shrimp is grilled and ready about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare one batch of Texas Brew Cream Sauce (recipe below). Keep warm in a double broiler or fondue pot until ready to assemble tostada or make ahead and warm up before assembling your tostadas. You may make Texas Brew Cream Sauce at the same time you are sautéing the shrimp since prep time is only a couple of minutes.
- Saute shrimp, previously marinated no more than one hour in Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa, in butter or olive oil on medium-high heat until done, 1 minute on first side, turn and saute 1 to 2 minutes on other side. You may add a touch more butter, olive oil or salsa if your pan seems to dry. I like a little sauce on my shrimp when it comes to tostadas. You may also grill the shrimp on preheated grill misted with cooking oil 1-2 minutes each side. Brush with more salsa before turning.
- Layer tostada with ample amounts of slaw.
- Place desired amount of shrimp on top of slaw (3 to 4, more if using smaller shrimp).
- Sprinkle with chopped avocado or layer with avocado wedges.
- Drizzle with desired amount of Texas Brew Cream Sauce (Can drizzle with as sauce made with Texas Brew Salsa mixed with a good melted cheddar cheese spread, with an aged cheddar nacho sauce or your favorite Queso for an equally tasty topping).
- Drizzle with more Medium Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa (optional)
- Garnish with cilantro or Pico De Gallo. Spritz lime juice on each Tostada. Enjoy!
Shrimp Baby Appetizers: Prepare and layer above ingredients on large round tortilla chips using one shrimp per chip. Garnish and serve as a delightful appetizer.
Texas Brew Hot Cream Sauce
1 cup heavy cream or Half & Half
3 T. to 4 T. Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa
Pour 1 cup of heavy cream or 1 cup of half & half in a small warm skillet. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipotle Salsa and bring to a boil. Let boil/simmer for two minutes until flavors have mixed well. You may add crumbled flash fried cilantro leaves to the sauce.
Pour over already prepared grilled shrimp, Texas Brew Cheesy Meatloaf crab cakes, chicken, enchiladas or drizzle over grilled poblano peppers, asparagus, roasted tomatoes, stuffed mushrooms or any vegetable of your choice. You can also use as topping for nachos or as a sauce on hot roast beef, turkey sandwiches or shrimp tostadas. I have refrigerated this sauce and used it the next day with great success. Have fun. Your imagination is your only limit.
Pica De Gallo
1/3 medium red onion, chopped finely
1 tablespoon lime juice
3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup chopped cilantro
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
Let stand one hour.
NOTE: While every precaution has been taken in the preparation of these recipes, Texas Brew Products and the author assume no responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting from the use of the information contained herein.
NOTE: Image is for publication purposes only. It may not represent the actual prepared recipe.